We thank those alumni and friends who have already made a gift of memorabilia to help reclaim and preserve San Dieguito High School Academy’s history.
The Foundation is committed to restoring and preserving San Dieguito’s history. Your donated high school memorabilia (yearbooks, commencement lists, report cards, old Mustang newspapers, etc.) will help us achieve that goal.
San Dieguito High School Academy has done a great job educating kids for over 70 years. However, there was never enough time, space, or money to properly care and maintain memorabilia. Construction projects over the years only exacerbated this problem as some memorabilia was temporarily relocated and then lost.
Our collection of The Mustang newspapers, for example, only goes back to 1997 with a few exceptions. We have a complete set of Hoofprint yearbooks, but they are damaged from decades of library patrons who cut out photos. The yearbooks are now safely stored in the school vault, but very few remain intact.
What trophies we have now are here thanks to the efforts of physical education teacher John Brennan, who learned in 1997 that the trophy storage closet was scheduled to be cleaned out. He saved as many as he could but noticed several were missing. Of those that remained, many were too damaged to be repaired.
If you would like to donate your memorabilia, please give us a call at (760) 753-1121, extension 5085. (Or you can send your items to SDA Foundation, PO Box 235109, Encinitas, CA 92023-5019.)
Items we are looking for:
- Original commencement lists and graduation programs
- Original film or good quality video tape of “San Dieguito High School: Those Early Years”
- Original 16mm film or good quality tape of the school groundbreaking (reportedly filmed on January 11, 1937)
- Original Mustang newspapers prior to 1997
- Newspaper clippings about the school prior to 1997
- Report cards, pink slips, employee manuals, etc. (Any documentation from the earliest years would be most gratefully accepted.)